The Linux Doctor
Making house calls to solve your Linux needs
Are you a Windows user who wants more out of your computing experience and has been curious about Linux but don't know who to trust to offer support?
Do you already have Linux on your PC but need some additional troubleshooting expertise?
Are you a novice Linux user who needs some technical assistance from time to time?
If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, then I'd like to
help. I am a Linux professional who will come to your house
or business to troubleshoot, install or upgrade Linux on your desktop
or laptop with the honesty, respect and expertise you deserve.
What exactly is Linux?
Linux is an Operating System (i.e., the software which runs your PC) which is a free alternative to Microsoft's Windows and Apple's OS X as well as being the basis for OS X and the powerful Android platform. While Windows continues to be the most widely used desktop and laptop Operating System, it is widely believed that Linux is better written, runs faster/more efficiently, and more security conscious (see article " More Than 90% of Linux Systems Have Never Been Infected) and can save you a lot of money over
commercially available software. For years Linux has been very popular among computer hobbyists and computer professionals, but over time it has attracted a much more main-stream audience as it has become increasingly easy to use. Lastly, you can try out Linux on any PC without disturbing what is already installed and if you decide to use Linux long-term you can install it alongside Windows giving you the option to boot whichever OS you wish.
This YouTube video also serves as a great introduction to the world of Linux.
Who am I?
My name is John and I have professionally managed corporate, "mission-critical" Linux and UNIX computers since 1993, have served as an independent Linux consultant for numerous projects, and have maintained and used Red Hat/Fedora Linux (and other distributions of Linux) since mid-1996.
If you wish to see more, you can see my complete career history,
education, and recommendations I have received at my public LinkedIn
Why should you hire me?
- I have excellent references, years of experience, good tutoring
skills and have always been known as a very hard working individual.
Most importantly, I will treat you with respect, honesty and fairness.
- Initially, I will come to your home or business. Afterward, I may offer the option of working on your PC remotely, depending on the nature of the problem and your needs.
- Users of all levels of technical expertise are welcome.
If you are a current Windows user, why should you consider Linux?
- Most experts agree that Linux is more secure, more robust, less prone to virus attacks, and requires less resources (meaning you can use an older, less powerful, less expensive computer).
- Linux is now quite novice-friendly. Most Linux applications (web-browser, email reader,
etc) are very similar to Windows applications and generally have an intuitive
feel to them. Also, most of the day-to-day system maintenance is handled
by well thought out, intuitive GUI's (i.e., Graphical User Interface).
- I can put Linux on your machine without having to delete
Windows, giving you the option to run Linux or Windows as you see fit.
- Not only will I install Linux on your machine (with all the latest updates) but I will also spend a couple of hours tutoring
you, as well as download a number of useful
Linux-related bookmarks into your web-browser.
How do you contact me?
The best way to contact me is to email me at = > firstname.lastname@example.org
Linux Advocacy Articles
- 5 ways Linux changed our lives and we didnt even know it - Andriod Authority 8/25/19
- 25 Awesome Things Powered By Linux - omg ubuntu 7/30/19
- Open Invention Network, the Linux-based patent non-aggression community, exceeds 3,000 licensees - 6/19/19 ZDNet
- CERN Ditches Microsoft to Take Back Control with Open Source Software - 6/13/19 omg!ubuntu!
- It's a Linux-powered car world - 1/4/19 ZDNet
- 8 Ways Linux Is Taking Over the World - 4/6/18
- It finally happened. Today, all 500 of the world's top 500 supercomputers are running Linux. - ZDNet 11/14/17
- Open source professionals are more in demand than ever - ZDNet 8/23/17
- Linux owns supercomputing - ZDNet 6/23/17
- Why the Largest Companies in the World Count on Linux Servers - Linux Journal 6/13/17
- Nasdaq Corporate Solutions Brings Open Source Technology to Enhanced Investor Relations Website Platform - Nasadaq 10/19/16
- Chromebooks outsold Macs for the first time in the US - The Verge 5/19/16
- Linux is the largest software development project on the planet: Greg Kroah-Hartman - CIO.com 5/12/16
- Ubuntu Linux Is Everywhere - Softpedia 4/8/16
- Dice: How Linux Hiring Compares with the Rest of Tech - Linux.com 2/26/14
- Linux job market heats up - ZDNet 2/19/14
- Linux Pros Saw Larger Bonuses, Higher Salaries in 2013 - Linux.com 2/13/14
- Jobs Demand Rising for Linux and Open Source Skills - ostatic.com 10/4/13
- To the space station and beyond with Linux - zdnet.com 5/6/13
- Microsoft threatened as smartphones and tablets rise, Gartner warns - theguardian.com 4/4/13
- Report: Enterprise Linux Growth Outpaces Windows - Linux.Com 3/27/13
- Linux Skills Still in High Demand in the Job Market - ostatic.com 3/25/13
- If You Don't Know Linux, You Better Learn Fast - Linux.com 2/20/13
- Red Hat Will Thrive Over The Next Decade - Seeking alpha 7/12/12
- Linux Played a Crucial Role in Discovery of 'Higgs boson' - Ubuntu Vibes 7/5/12
- U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Gets Open Source, Publishes on GitHub - TechCrunh.com 4/9/12
- Red Hat Rubs Its Billion-Dollar Year In Bill Gates' Face - Yahoo! Finance 3/28/12
- Linux Continues to Grow in the Enterprise - Is Anyone Surprised? - InternetNews.Com 1/19/12
- Where Linux crushes Windows like a bug: Supercomputers - ZDNet 11/14/11
- Bashing Microsoft 'like kicking a puppy,' says Linux Foundation chief - NetworkWorld 4/5/11
- 50 Places Linux is Running That You Might Not Expect - Focus 3/26/10
- GNU/Linux Security: Linux House vs Microsoft House - Blog.Eracc.com 10/23/09
- Open Source Makes Big Gains at the London Stock Exchange - Computerworld UK 10/6/09
- On Bugs, Viruses, Malware and Linux - ecommercetimes.com 8/10/09
- The Triumph of Linux As a Supercomputing OS - pingdom.com 6/24/09
- The world's fastest computers are Linux computers
- Linux Today 11/29/08
- New York Stock Exchange Runs Trades On Red Hat Linux - InformationWeek.com 5/14/08
- RHEL now certified at EAL4+ - james-morris.livejournal.com 6/16/07
- Why Switch To Linux? - The Linux Box 4/10/05
- 10 Reasons To Switch To Linux - Tux Magazine 3/9/05
- Linux Diffcult to Crack - Vuenet 1/17/05
- 30,000+ PCs Taken Over Each Day - BBC News 9/20/04
- Rewards of Open Source Software - Linux World 8/28/04
- How Will Companies Make Money Off Open-Source (such as Linux)? - Linux Today 8/27/04
- Linux Secure Enough for Department of Defense - Linux Today 8/25/04
Educational Articles For Linux Novices